A blog is an online journal or informational sharing website, that displays information in a set order, with latest or most view posts appearing first. It’s a platform where a writer (blogger) or group of writers (bloggers) share their views on an individual subject or trending topics.
Meanwhile, blogger is a person who frequently writes materials for a blog.
Blogging originally started as a way to have an online personal web-based communication, in which a person would tell a story around their day, career or job. And from the “web log” came the term “blog”.
Like most new innovations on the Internet, many entrepreneurs saw marketing potential in having a blog, and blogging took off from there. Not only can a blog be used for marketing but also, a blog can be a home business in and of itself.
Blog Versus Website
Often time, some people ignorantly argue about what they have little knowledge of and are confused over what constitutes a blog over a website. Part of the problem is that many businesses use both, integrating them into a single web presence. But there are two features of a blog that differentiate it from a corporate website.
- Frequently Updated: Whether it’s a tech blog where different update and inventions in digital space are been discussed, a food blog sharing new recipes, or a human resources’ business providing tips about CV, cover letter, vacancies, etc. to its readers, blogs have new content added frequently. Meanwhile, corporate websites though occasionally have new information, but offer static and rarely changing information for a long time.
- Reader’s Engagement: Comment section is always made available on a blog because of the ability for readers to communicate their feelings on any article, have a discussion with the blogger and others that read articles on the blog. In corporate websites, no provision for such engagement and owner can only be contacted through the contact form on the contact page of the website.
The Relevance of blogging
There are several reasons why aspiring entrepreneurs are still considering blogging business, some of which are;
- Realizing how much search engines love new content, and as a result, blogging is a great search engine optimization (SEO) tool.
- Blogging provides an easy way to keep your customers and clients up-to-date on what’s going on, let them know about new deals, and provide tips. The more a customer comes to your blog, the more likely they are to spend money.
- A blog allows you to build trust with your customers and prospects. Not only can you show off what you know, building your expertise and credibility, but also, because people can post comments and interact with you, they can get to know you, and hopefully, will trust you enough to buy from you.
- Blogs can make money. Along with your product or service, blogs can generate income from other options, such as advertising and affiliate products, e.g Digital Mainland
- Blogging is flexible and portable, making it a great option for people who are lifestyle entrepreneurs.
Unlike many businesses that faded away within a decade of its existence, blogging is still very much relevant and paying in Nigeria, Africa and other part of the world. Many Nigerians are earning a living from it; blogging has made people millionaires. While some have to take the risk of quitting their 8am to 5pm monthly paid job to become a full-time blogger and earn a legitimate income from it. Some go extra-mile of investing so much in this business and turn it into an online newspaper or magazine.
How to Start a Blog
The good news is that creating a blog or adding a blog to your existing corporate website is relativity easy and affordable. But before you do that, below are the steps require to run a successful blogging platform;
- Step 1: Setting Up the Blog
- Step 2: Add Content
- Step 3: Market
- Step 4: Add Income Streams.